Subtitle

Warning: Expect foul language. I often blog when sleep deprived, and even when I'm not sleep deprived I cuss.
Warning the second: TMI often occurs. Read at your own risk. Feel free to laugh at my expense (I know I do!).
Warning the third: I suppose I should just put a general Trigger Warning here. I talk about mental illness (Anxiety, panic disorder, depression, social shit), abuse (rarely), and my fucked up relationship with food. And...other things. Actually, just consider this a general warning: If you might be triggered by things, you probably should read no further.

Friday, April 13, 2012

You learn something new

So I've been a volunteer conversation partner for two weeks now. This means the International Student department teams me up with someone who's come to the school to learn English and I answer questions, clarify things and help them with their pronunciation. I am seriously loving it. It's not just making new friends (and one of the students is becoming a bud), it's how fulfilling it is to help someone achieve something. In this case it's better fluency.
People used to tell me "You should be a teacher!" and I scoffed at them. I have a low tolerance for bullshit and am a very impatient person. But this...I don't know, I'm just really, truly enjoying the experience. It makes me understand why people want to become teachers and kind of makes me want to get my TEFL certs. I have a long way to go before I could do that, but it's really appealing right now.
Don't worry, I know that this could merely be enthusiasm clouding my senses. But...the truth is I've always enjoyed helping people with their English (when they ask!) and meeting people from cultural backgrounds different than my own. Funny how those two things often go hand in hand ;).
I was talking to an internet friend about it, which is why I'm blogging about it. It. Teaching. I hate admitting people might be right about me, so I won't. Because I understand that helping peers with their English is a big step away from teaching it. Still, it's a thought.
On another note, is it next summer yet? I want to be in Arizona. NOW. The weather here is going bananas (like it does) and wreaking havoc on my poor benighted body. I haven't gone a day without painkiller in a couple weeks now. Which reminds me (*goes and takes another*). The thing is, sometimes I can sit in one spot and get my pain to a comfortable ache (it's hard to explain unless you've experienced it), but if you forget that your painkiller is going to wear off and then stand up? AGONY. So I have hopefully averted AGONY. I really want to be somewhere with less changeable weather right now. At least school is awesome. Lots of work, and I'm falling behind a bit, but awesome nonetheless.
Fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment